Thursday 8 April 2010

I just can't help it....

Every time I'm out I just can't help it, I get total pleasure out of it, I'm totally addicted to it....what?...collecting, that's what.

An example...today I went to the Old Town, I know there's only one there, surrounded by junk shops, antique markets, pretty nick-knack and frivolous shops...they didn't sway me from my goal as I made a b-line to... the charity shop.....ooh the excitement reaches a higher level as my laser-like gaze scans the room.
First to be scrutinized as the brick-a -back shelf....what am I looking for? Now that's a difficult question to answer, first anything unusual, out of place or different from all the other items, second anything that is obviously old and thirdly anything that I recognise, such as a glass that matches the set we had as a wedding gift from a now dead friend, of which only one remains. But I actually did find one only last week in the St.Michael's hospice shop on Queen's Road, the old lady serving said "Oh, I have a set of 4 of these at home", so I told her the story and that they were rather lovely and she agreed.
Nothing interesting on the shelves, next I scan the counter display top, ooh a rather nice necklace, modern but made out of semi-precious stones in green, my favourite colour, only £2, very nice...bought instantly while I'm at the counter, "no, I'll put it in my handbag, I don't need a bag thank you, I always carry one with me". Took about 40 seconds.
A quick take on the room....now what is the most interesting thing here?
The small ladies items on the other shelving, next to the crates of used underwear, hats and scarves. Tucked away on this shelf is an array of smaller baskets filled with little things like rain hats in packs, key rings, old make up and creams, this is a truly female area, almost musk-like with cheap perfumes and the intimate odours of others. Here fantastic treasures are to be found.

I suppose it's to do with my lifelong passion for archaeology and history, like the excitment of finding lost civilisations but on a tiny scale, piecing together the history of each relic, how old is it, what condition its in, where could it have come from, who gave it, and why did they donate it?

So I have a rummage and found two pairs of seamed nylon stockings, proper nylons not modern ones with Lycra or elastane in, they're lovely, beautiful in a light tan colour, that's funny, they are unworn yet loose in the basket, I asked the shop lady who was sorting out hats next to me, she said "You should have seen the size of the box they came in",
'Have you still got it?"
"No, we threw it away"
So now I'll never know how old these beautiful nylon stockings are, maybe 60's perhaps even 50's, it's been a long time since they were popular and were always expensive. But at least they are extra long so are perfect for me.

Nothing else of interest there, a scan through the rails again looking for anything unusual, old or designer. One black bat wing 80's dress.....aah, goodness I remember wearing a similar one when I was 16, fond memories and I could get away with wearing it again, done, back to the counter, "How much?" £4 the lot (3 pairs of stockings, a belt and a dress), in the bag, out of the shop.
It could only have taken me 4 minutes.

Charity shopping is green shopping, my money goes to a good cause, I get wondrous treasures, a feel good bargain high and also saving the precious object from the landfill or furnace.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home