Saturday 5 November 2011

70's ART GLASS..but it's SO PRETTY!

Well some of it is, anyway.....just another collecting phase, which goes alongside all the rest!

70's ART GLASS

After finding a selection of Italian Murano Glass ashtrays from the 70's I did some research as I found that whole era quite fascinating. Remembering as a child I'd bought my mother a Mdina glass vase for Christmas because I absolutely LOVED the colours... this WAS in the 70's.
My collection ranges from these 'dishes' to an array of bubble bud vases and a few larger chunky pieces that epitomized this particular design vogue. They all look lovely on my sunny windowsill, although I am limiting that area to blues and greens only as I'm not that fond of red glass, a bit imposing and sinister.

MURANO  
Hand made using very simple, chunky designs but having that little extra wow factor.
I only have a a few examples of their special layer technique which layers two or more colours visible in the glass for certain angles, as seen the red/green dish (although we all know these are ashtrays!)
The lovely bubble dish is a perfect example, capturing tiny air bubbles during the molten glass stage, either in specific patterns or just random which are set in the glass as it cools and solidifies.
A couple of blue/white swirl dishes, these come in a wide range of colours and are produced by adding a blob of opaque white glass during the molten stage then blowing and twisting to create a swirl pattern. 
There are so many beautiful examples always coming up on eBay but I must resist and only buy from local charity shops with a upper price limit of £5...that is the law unto myself which I must obey ( everyone must have their own limitations and that is mine!!)




WHITEFRIARS ~ English glassware - famed for their knobbly glass vases in strange colours and odd shapes, although I'm not actually a fan I have found a couple of sage teardrop vases, a colour only produced for one year in 1974, don't now why, I think it's lovely but as they had to go with the flow it can't have been very popular at that time.

UNIDENTIFIED PIECES
When I can't find out about the item I get a tad frustrated so if anyone has any ideas who made these odd bits please let me know.
The first one is a heavy hand blown Hyacinth vase in deep peacock blue, dimple on base showing where it had been finished off with a grinder and polished. The second is a thick, chunky vase in bluey green, shriekingly 70's. The last vase was a birthday present from my daughter..I fell in love immediately and it looks stunning on my sunny windowsill.




Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home